× Welcome to the PNC Sucks forum!

Tell us and our members how you were treated unfairly. Maybe your story will help someone else.We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Horrible place to work, horrible place to bank

• anonymous
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #7 by anonymous
Ok so, I work at one of the PNC call centers that was taken over by them. I started out as a national city employee back in 2006. In all reality, National City and PNC are equally as guilty. National City would tack on the fees like you wouldnt believe and we actually got in trouble if we refunded too much. it wasnt really a matter if a fee refund was warranted or not everyone had a certain amount they were allowed to refund a month and it just depended on where they were in the month when you called and asked for one.

BUT, PNC is insanely outdated. first of all the call centers and the branches dont even use the same system. so if i note something at the call center, they cant see it at the branch and vice versa. the systems we use are insanely outdated (were talking old school dos systems here, people) when with national city we had a system that both the call center and the branch used that was updated multiple times a week.

So, we now charge a fee if we do a telephone transfer for you but your welcome to do it via online banking atm or automated system for free. Nevermind the fact that national city customers NEVER had to deal with that. then lets talk about the fact that they came in and cut a lot of peoples pay, we are regular hard working people just like the rest of you, but they came in and said pretty much this "we came in and cut your pay because we can, your not making as much as our people in PA, but your expected to have a smile on your face and be thankful you have a job because theres a thousand people that would love to fill your shoes." literally...they said that without actually using THOSE words.

Then lets see...dont let them fool you when you ask for a fee refund, there is no brain power involved whatsoever, theres a tool you run it through to see if you are "eligible" for a fee refund, from what I can tell its based off of if the person pays fees or not, for example someone that overdraws a lot is likely to get one or two fees back because they pay in so much, still making a profit. That good person who never ever overdraws, probably not because we just made a profit off them for the first (or isolated time) why would we? and get this...once it says to deny the refund, it actually blocks another rep from refunding those fees. a supervisor can override it if they so choose, but that is very very very very rare that they will override that decision.

the benefits we get are about the same, but another way they screwed is they got rid of our floating holidays, meaning that if we worked on martin luther king day, even though some people got it off, we then had 8 hrs of vacation time to use whenever we wanted (this came in handy when you went over your 6 six days your allowed a year!) they got rid of that, so those of us that bought an extra week of vacation, we didnt get ahead, we basically paid to have the same amount of vacation time as we had before. (mind you they didnt notify us of this tidbit until after we had already bought it)

this is the big one...the sick days....you are allowed 6 sick days for an entire year (not calendar but rolling) you get an occurence for every single day you are gone. so lets say you get bronchitis you work at a call center, so not really an option to work during the worst of it, right? it USED to be if you got a drs note, it was one occurence for however many days you needed off (mind you, you still only got paid for 6 but you were not penalized as long as you had a legit doctors note) then PNC comes along and it changes to every day even if you have a doctors note is a strike against you. so you have bronchitis. your out 7 days, guess what? your getting written up. if you have to take 3 more days off the whole year outside of your sick days for illnesses. once you hit ten you are fired, no questions asked.

this means, people who are sick are going to force themselves to come to work, then we all get sick and some of us get fired, it sounds trivial, but i promise you, i have seen it happen. one girl had a seizure at work, her supervisor called the ambulance, she was hospitalized, hadnt been there a year yet so no option for FMLA, but they fired her WHILE SHE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL WHEN THEY CALLED THE AMBULANCE.

By the way, most of us dont bank there, i have worked for national city/pnc for 4 years and counting and i have never and will never ever ever bank there.

i will clarify the myth though, we dont post things so you get overdraft fees, it always has been and always will be we post them largest to smallest. every single bank does this, credit unions may not but every bank does.

so now that you see a small smidgen of what we deal with as call center reps, and I realize they are probably screwing you over as customers too, please please try to be nice to us and realize its not our fault that the decision is made not to refund your fee (although we have to lie to you and tell you that we declined the refund). among other things....just please try to understand what its like to sit there for 8 hrs and taken phone calls literally back to back (take over 200 calls a day) and you are screamed at for well over half of those.

we are normal human beings working at a crappy place trying to support ourselves just like the rest of you
  • SWEATSHOP
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 4 months ago #990 by SWEATSHOP
Replied by SWEATSHOP on topic Horrible place to work, horrible place to bank
WHERE TO START..., THEY ARE WORSE THAN A SWEATSHOP, LITERALLY. THINGS WERE NOT THIS WAY WHEN I FIRST SIGNED UP. I WORKED MY ASS OFF THRU ALMOST YEAR END. I WAS DUE 5 PAID DAYS OFF, BUT WAIT, THEY SAID I ONLY ACCRUED 3.75 AND THE 4TH WAS A PERSONAL DAY WHICH ACCORDING TO COMPANY POLICY THEY DON'T PAY YOU OUT. AND HOW WERE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW THIS? THERE WAS NO EXIT INTERVIEW, NOR A COMPANY MANUAL. WHAT A GREAT WAY TO THANK YOUR LOYAL AND HARD WORKING EMPLOYEES THAT MADE YOU MILLIONS!!! THE INCENTIVE IS EARNED QUARTERLY, BUT I WAS LET GO THE DAY BEFORE THE PAY WAS DUE- HOW COINCIDENTAL?? BEST PLACE TO WORK AT, MY ASS. ONLY EMPLOYER IN OVER 20 YEARS I HAVE BEEN PROFESSIONALLY EMPLOYED WHERE YOUR MEDICAL INSURANCE IS CANCELED THE DAY OFF YOUR LAST DAY. MEDICAL INSURANCE IS PAID A WHOLE MONTH IN ADVANCE, BUT PNC CHOOSES TO SCREW PEOPLE FOR EVERY PENNY. WORSE THAN SCROOGE. I WILL DIE BEFORE I LET ANYONE I KNOW WORKS THERE AGAIN. AND THEY PAY IS SHITTY.
  • RH
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
1 year 5 months ago #2467 by RH
I worked there for 18 months, and was terminated over the phone by HR in front of my manager who was astonished. The place is the worst company I've ever worked in - and yes, medical benefits are cut off the next day after your termination. Even prescription medications. How cheap and cruel can a company be to cut off an employee with no warning, no severance, no benefits. PNC is the absolute worst company I've worked for since I started working in the early 1990's. I would recommend to anyone and everyone to stay away from them if at all possible - for your own health & benefit.