× Welcome to the PNC Sucks forum!

Tell us and our members how you were treated unfairly. Maybe your story will help someone else.We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Refusal to close empty account--Is this legal?

• mshutson
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #13 by mshutson
I worked for National City Bank in 2007 and most of 2008, in their call center. It was easily the worst, most stressful job I ever had. About to be fired for not meeting my 'sales goals' (I was in Customer Service on the call center!) and for having an apparent heart attack at my desk, I quit, went into a branch, and closed my accounts. I didn't just withdraw the money, I closed them. That was in late 2008.

PNC took over Nat City in a forced sale brokered by Treasury using TARP funds in January of 2009.

Last week (TWO YEARS AFTER CLOSING MY ACCOUNTS) I get a letter from PNC saying if I don't activate my debit/Visa it will be deactivated automatically on October 4th, 2010. Rilly? What debit card? I closed these accounts BEFORE the bank even became PNC, two years ago.

I called the customer disservice number on the letter and got a very snotty CSR who said he could not release any info about the accounts unless I could tell him the exact branch where I opened them. I don't even remember WHEN I opened them. I had them for years before accepting the job, so I had no idea. I gave him every piece of info about myself imaginable, no go. He said I had to go into a branch to even find out what was going on.

I said, "Is it your bank's policy to actually cancel accounts when customers, in person, withdraw all the funds and request the accounts be closed and sign a form to that effect?"

I have already spent way too much time on this, but to make a long story short, there is penny in these accounts, keeping them open. It is NOT my penny. It is clear to me that, fearing a loss of customers over Nat City's crappy service (tons of people left during the crash and the bank failed), PNC left these accounts open on their own dime hoping to draw people back in. Somewhere, a debit card is floating around that will be canceled on October 4.

I don't think this is even legal, and I'm so mad I could spit. I would like to report this to someone by I'm not sure who.

Has anyone else experienced this? If it isn't illegal, it should be.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by mshutson. Reason: edited for spelling errors and typos
  • EJ Wu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #15 by EJ Wu
I feel your pain! I went into the bank to withdraw all my funds all $1.81 as you can see I didn't put my full financial trust into PNC. They told me I couldn't close it because I had a pending transaction! Are you serious the withdraw I just did was pending! What in the world the transaction is through and was completed nothing pending I have the money! PNC really SUCKS and this forum is awesome. I will also report all my issues with PNC to Better Business Bureau.
Moderators: admin